Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Paddle-In

Recently, I participated in an event called a paddle-in. It is where hundreds of kayakers come from all over Florida and participate in a group kayaking trip in Everglades City. We paddled from Chokoloskee Island to a small island called Slade Key a few miles out into the gulf. We all ended up in different spots along the route rather than crowded all in a clump, so I really got to reflect on my surroundings. I appreciated everything more than usual that day--the plants and animals, the ocean, and even the sunrise (we started our trip at around 6 in the morning). When we got to Slade Key, we all had lunch and got to explore the island. I took a mental note of all the native species around me. It had been so long since I wasn't in a suburb or city environment, so I was very appreciative of this opportunity to kayak in the ocean all day. I grew up taking trips from the east coast to Everglades City. I spent a lot of my childhood on these waters, so it was nice to be back and remember my roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment