Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lover's Key

I had never been to Lover's Key State park, and I learned a lot about the estuary environment during our field trip. An estuary is a partially closed body of water with a connection to the sea and it has rivers and streams that flow into it, which I did not know before this trip. It is also interesting how the mangroves, grasses and other species of plants and animals are so important. I had no idea that mangroves could be somewhat of a barrier to winds during hurricanes, or that fish used them for breeding ground. I am glad that mangroves are a protected species because they are important to humans as well as animals. Walking on the beach gave me time to reflect on this park and my surroundings, and it added to my sense of place of southwest florida.


This is completely off topic, but I was thinking about the solar panels at FGCU...how many trees did they cut down to be able to put those in? Isn't that kind of counterproductive?

No comments:

Post a Comment