Thursday, July 7, 2011

Downtown Fort Myers

I did not think this field trip would be as exciting as I found it to be...but I learned SO much on Tuesday! I have only lived here since August and I've never made it downtown(I didn't even know it was on the Caloosahatchee River), but taking this trip made me like and appreciate Fort Myers a little more. I liked learning about Edison, Ford and Firestone, the old buildings, and all of the Civil War history that this city holds. I read A Land Remembered so i could picture the MacIvey's doing their cattle drives through first street or going to the local saloons downtown. This field trip definitely contributed to my sense of place in Fort Myers. I think educating yourself about the place you live or the new place you move to is imperative in order to gain a sense of place of your environment.

Dr.Morris also made a good point about the city environment being "natural." When beavers build dams, people look at it as just something that occurs in nature. When people build houses and buildings, even though it doesn't seem natural, it is because we have to build shelter for ourselves too. We have to live somewhere too, I guess people just take it to an unnecessary extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment