Sunday, June 19, 2011

Class 6/7

In our last class, we had a mock counsel meeting regarding proposals for hydroelectric and coal burning electricity. Each group had to convince Lisa and I, the mayor and chairperson, which method was better for the community. I did not realize how many things there are to consider when building something like this. The hydroelectric would be better for the environment, but would prevent salmon from spawning and would take land from homeowners. The coal burning plant would take away farmland and pollute the air in the community. The whole ordeal was very multi-faceted and it was not an easy decision to make--I could only imagine what something like this would be like in a real city or county. I assumed that both sides would present their cases and that Lisa and I would be able to decide quickly, but this was not the case. No matter which one we chose, it would affect a certain group of the community negatively.
 
For the record, though, I think I would chose hydroelectric if I was really a member of the city counsel. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment